Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Can someone give me information on Spring Banch Independent School District in Houston, Texas?


Can someone give me information on Spring Banch Independent School District in Houston, Texas?
I'm a teacher that is looking to move to the Houston area next school term. I don't want to live too far from downtown but would like to teach in a fairly good area (I currently teach in a very depressed school and region). I like the location of the Spring Branch District. However, I have seen good and bad things about the district. What information can you all give? Thanks in advance.
Houston - 2 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
You can get a lot of good information on Spring Branch ISD from the Texas Education Agengy (TEA) website (below). Click on "Accountability" and select in particular the first two categories (AEIS and Accountability Ratings). The Houston Chronicle also just ran a special section on local school ratings. You might be able to access it online at the Chronicle's website. One note: if you plan to work in Spring Branch, I wouldn't recommend living near downtown, since that would be a terrible commute twice a day down I-10 or Memorial Drive. There is a lot of excellent and affordable housing in the Spring Branch area; I'd recommend checking out local real estate listings.


2
The good things about the district are south of I-10. The bad things are north of I-10. I realize you may have no input as to where you teach, but the south side definitely beats the "north of the tracks" area, as we used to call it. Oh, and you don't want to live near downtown and teach in SBISD. The traffic would be a bear. If you relish hourlong commutes then fine...

Popular Posts